St Mary's Mortuary Chapel
Sitting on the edge of the town, at the top of Church Lane, you’ll find Tidworth Mortuary Chapel. It sounds a bit morbid at first thought but it’s a peaceful area with an interesting history. The old St Mary’s Church within the town was demolished in 1784 by permission of the Bishop of Winchester and material from that church was used to build this chapel. The chapel later fell into a state of disrepair until the Town Council took ownership of it in 2006 and refurbished it in 2008.
Old South Tedworth medieval church was first mentioned in 1086 and was originally on the site of the new St Mary’s church. As it had been left to deteriorate this church was removed in 1784 and completely reconstructed at the top of the present Church Lane. Records of 1850 refer to the Burial chapel as South Tedworth church but we know it now as the Mortuary chapel. The Mortuary Chapel contains many of the interesting and informative memorials from the pervious building. The Mortuary chapel also houses a crypt which holds two unidentified bodies.
These can be viewed through a secure grill and are still in place. They were uncovered during the initial refurbishment of the building by Tidworth Town Council in 2008.