The British Army have been stationed in Tidworth for many centuries; the Army bought the whole estate in 1897. This led too much of the land cross both parishes (South and North Tidworth) being built on for a Garrison attached to Southern Military Command with the Commanding Officer setting up residence at Tedworth House.
During the early twenieth century Tidworth and Perham Down saw a significant development of buildings being erected and services provided. Some memorable dates of the growth of the Military;
1904 – Saw the first troops moved into new Barracks from tents and hut.
1905 – Lucknow and Mooltan Barracks were built.
1933 – Six (6) brick built Barracks were built.
1938 – Folwer Barracks (this was demolished in the 1960’s) and Busingny Barracks (also demolished in 1976) were built.
1939 – Matthew Barracks was built (this also got demolished in the 1960’s).
1972 to 1974 - Perham Down Barracks was rebuilt and named as Swinton.
Today some of the barracks have been renamed after British Army battles in Afghanistan and earlier interest in the Indian sub-continents.
The barracks which can be found are; Aliwal, Assaye, Bhurtpore, Candahar, Delhi and Lucknow.
Tidworth and Perham Down are home to the 1st Mechanised Brigade’s Headquarters as well as the affiliated Royal Horse Artillery (RHA), Kings Royals Hussar, 22 & 26 Engineers Regiment, 215 signal squadron (Sig Sqn) ,2 Royal Welsh, 2 Royal Tank Regiment (2RTR), 1 Royal Regiment Fusiliers (1RRF).
In the future Tidworth will see a significant growth in Army personnel being deployed to the Town.